10 Things You Need to Know if You Move to Baltimore
Baltimore is rich in history and its culture is thriving, which makes it a thrilling city to live in and visit. There’s so much to do living near Fells Point that we thought we’d break down 10 things you should know before moving to Charm City.
- Marylanders are extremely proud of the local crab. Just about any restaurant you visit will have an abundance of crab to choose from. (NOTE: Be prepared to act as a connoisseur of crab for anyone visiting!)
- Baltimore was home to the first post office system in the U.S. in 1774, as well as the first railroad station in 1830. Brag on, friends. Everyone loves a fun fact!
- Numerous Baltimore restaurants have been featured on the Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.” Here are three Baltimore restaurant suggestions for you to get started with when you move to the area.
- The “Charm City” name comes from a creative conference wherein four of the city’s advertising execs and creative directors had a goal to “come up with something to promote the city.” Residents at the time were aware of the untapped, hidden charm the city held but felt that the rest of the country was not, in comparison to other well-known cities.
- Baltimore shines brightly in the month of October when, each year, there are over 300 free events during Free Fall Baltimore. The city truly gives back to its residents and October is a beautiful time to take in all Charm City has to offer.
- The world’s largest collection of Matisse paintings can be found at the Baltimore Museum of Art. Entry to the museum is free every day, for everyone!
- Baltimore’s music scene is alive and well, as it’s always been. Our city is home to legendary jazz artists Cab Calloway, Eubie Blake and Billie Holiday. You can explore the beauty of Baltimore’s music in the Bromo Tower Arts & Entertainment District.
- We have “a co-op – a sort of dormitory for local brewers” right on the site of old Oriole Park. It’s called Peabody Heights Brewery and it houses eight craft brands. This unique concept made the Best of Baltimore 2015 list and it’s a big part of the reason why there’s no shortage of excellent beer in Baltimore!
- Get outside and catch a flick during the summer months in Baltimore. There are many locations to choose from but it’s likely that you’ll decide based on the movie being shown. This year, Baltimore Magazine gave some love to a newcomer, the Bromo Tower A&E District’s “reel B.A.D. film nights,” in their Best of Baltimore 2015.
- Last but certainly not least, the downtown Baltimore apartments of Jefferson Square are truly a thing of beauty. We’re extremely proud of our luxury apartments near Johns Hopkins and would love for you to visit us while exploring the city.
Feel free to share what you think is a “need to know” when moving to Baltimore or just one of your favorite things about the city.